Chillichap's Chilli Sauce Review - Tabasco Original Pepper Hot Sauce

 

Chilli Sauce Review: [Review - Tabasco Original Pepper Hot Sauce]

Introduction

Hello!

Well, as the name Chillichap implies, I'm rather fond of anything chilli. When I was growing and attending sixth form, I worked in a college kitchen to earn some extra pennies and run my motorbike. I was eighteen and actually knew very little about food and drink, only that I loved it. One of the jobs as a kitchen porter was to clean out the massive store cupboard. It was like entering another world with condiments and ingredients that I'd never heard of. One was Tabasco Original Red Pepper Hot Sauce. Now at this point, my only source of heat came in the form of white pepper. I smothered everything with it, so it looked like whatever I ate had massive dandruff! Anyway, back to the college store cupboard. We (me and the other kitchen porters)used to take a teaspoon into the cupboard and try things. That fateful day I tried the Tabasco sauce and never looked back. Indeed, I bought a bottle and at the height of my powers, used to drink whole bottles of it for bets.




Appearance

  • Color: Ripe tomato-red
  • Consistency: Runny, almost watery.
  • Bottle Design: Simple and iconic and hasn't changed a lot over the years. Tells you exactly what you're getting. The red plastic twist top is very hard to break and the bottle is highly portable.

Aroma

  • Fragrance: Mostly vinegary, with a hint of impending peppery heat

Taste Test

  • Initial Flavor: Tangy, salty, vinegary, and savoury
  • Heat Level: Medium hot-it's enough to give food a kick. The heat level does build up.
  • Flavor Layers: Vinger, followed by salt, followed by peppery heat

Pairings

  • Food Matches: Goes with almost everything-particularly breakfast sandwiches of the fried variety. Very good splashed on eggs.
  • Beverage Pairing: This goes well with beer, soda, and water (but beware, certain liquids will make it more spicy to the palate). 

Overall Impressions

  • Pros:
    • Flavorful
    • Versatile
    • Balanced heat
    • Handy pocket size
  • Cons:
    • Not spicy enough (for me sometimes), but other hotter versions are available
    • Too simple and lacks depth

Final Verdict

Tabasco Original Pepper Hot Sauce has become a worldwide phenomenon and can be found on household and restaurant tables around the world. It's versatile and not overpowering. It's the one sauce I'm never without and if I ever do run out, I'm miserable until I obtain another bottle. If I'm going to take a bottle of chilli sauce out with me, it's usually this bottle to be fair because it is small and portable and less prone to leak.


Thanks for reading

Matt AKA Chillichap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chillichap's A to Z Guide of Cockney Rhyming Slang - Includes a Decoding of the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Bar Scene (I hope) CERT 18

Chillichap's Review - Pride and Prejudice 1995 BBC TV Series Starring Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle & Alison Steadman

Chillichap's World - Thought for the Week - Does Luck Exist? Or is this just another term for Coincidence, Fate or Destiny?