Chillichap's Chilli Sauce Review - Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce

 

Chilli Sauce Review: [Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce]

Introduction

Hello!

I normally have about a dozen bottles of different chilli sauces in my store cupboard living up to my name of Chillichap. I always try to vary my collection and like to think that I have different sauces for different types of food occasions. Sometimes I'll add chilli sauce into a dish while I'm cooking, or just drizzle it over a finished dish, or even mix the sauce with ketchup and spread it across a bun when I'm having hotdogs or burgers. I've got reasonably 'mild' chilli sauces (though some people might think they're hot) and some sauces that have to be handled with extreme care. Among all of my chilli sauces, there are a few staples that I can never do without. Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce is one of these. Read on to find out why:






Appearance

  • Color: Orangey-red
  • Consistency: Runny-be careful as it pours out very quickly!
  • Bottle Design: Simple, but attractive. Tells you exactly what you're getting. Plastic twist top (unlike the regular hot sauce). I have occasionally had these bottles leak in rucksacks when I've carried them around for emergency chilli hits.

Aroma

  • Fragrance: Mostly vinegary with a pervading butteriness, with a hint of impending peppery heat that tingles your senses

Taste Test

  • Initial Flavor: Tangy, buttery, salty, sour, and savoury
  • Heat Level: Medium hot-it's enough to give food a kick, but it won't hurt.
  • Flavor Layers: Sour, followed by butteriness that coats your tongue, followed by peppery heat

Pairings

  • Food Matches: Goes with almost everything-particularly BBQ items like wings (as the name suggests)
  • Beverage Pairing: This goes well with beer, soda, and water (but beware, certain liquids will make it more spicy to the palate). 

Overall Impressions

  • Pros:
    • Flavorful
    • Versatile (I especially do like this with wings when I'm looking for a hot, sour hit)
    • Balanced heat
    • Handy pocket size
  • Cons:
    • Not spicy enough (for me sometimes), but other hotter versions are available
    • Comes out of the bottle too fast if you're not careful

Final Verdict

Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce is in my top 10 list of favourite hot sauces. I've seen other Frank's Hot Suaces appearing more frequently on restaurant tables too. It's versatile and unusually sour with a pervading butteriness, making it stand out a bit from the crowd of other competing chilli sauces. I always try and make sure a bottle of Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce is in my cupboard. If it's ever on offer in the supermarket, I tend to buy two, as the sauce pours out very quickly from the bottle (and I'm probably addicted to it!). The last thing I'll say about this sauce is that I tend to pour it over cooked items rather than use it as a marinade.




Thanks for reading

Matt AKA Chillichap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chillichap's A to Z Guide of Cockney Rhyming Slang - Includes a Decoding of the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Bar Scene (I hope) CERT 18

Chillichap's Review - Pride and Prejudice 1995 BBC TV Series Starring Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle & Alison Steadman

Chillichap's World - Thought for the Week - Does Luck Exist? Or is this just another term for Coincidence, Fate or Destiny?